Friday, February 10, 2023

OPINION - Can Money Buy You Happiness? By Joseph Lucero

 Please enjoy this opinion article from the DMHS "Introduction to Journalism" class!

I think that money can and can't buy you happiness but it can help you achieve happiness. It can buy you happiness because if you have all the money you need you can spend time with people and family which can make you happy. Or you can buy things that bring you joy like a Bugatti or a mansion or things for family. Seeing them get them can bring you a lot of happiness.

I know a lot of people that are not wealthy and they are happier than most but then there are people like Shaq. He loves having money and it brings him joy because he can make shoes for low-income families and he can also buy people's groceries and give a lot of money away which brings him joy and happiness. Money buys me some happiness like it makes me happy when I go to the mall and buy a bunch of shoes and clothes. But it doesn't make me fully happy. I still like to be around family and that makes me truly happy. I think that it makes me even more happy during Christmas time giving and receiving stuff that money and kindness can get you. Having more money does make you happy because it makes it easier to care for people you love.

Andrew, a 9th grade student, said that he thinks money can for sure buy happiness because he can get whatever he always wanted and go to fun places that cost a lot of money and he can buy hella Funyuns. I think he makes a good point because money can get you things some people can only dream of and have things you always wanted. Andrew said if he had all the money in the world the first thing he would buy is a 3 story house and a bunch of chips. 

My substitute teacher, Micheal, said that money doesn't buy happiness because a lot of rich people are unhappy but he said he would rather have money then not and that if you get a college degree you would make an average of 1 million more than most people.

Personally, I feel like if I was to have all the money in the world I would be happy to an extent because I would be happy to have everything I want but I wouldn't feel loved because I would worry people are only sticking around for my money.


Joseph Lucero is a 9th grader at DMHS. He plans to become a barber when he grows up.

No comments:

Post a Comment