Friday, September 25, 2020

Express Yourself: New Energy in the Art Program

Jessica Perry, our new art teacher, is making great additions to our popular art curriculum. Jessica has been helping students find their artistic style. So far students have learned about color theory, shading, figuring out their artistic style, etc. This class is incredibly fun, and right now students are working on their final projects for this quarter. Aubrie Hall (7th grade) says “With art, you can express how you feel.” 


Jessica’s Philosophy About Art Education
According to Jessica, “Your artist voice is a unique and recognizable artistic style that is distinctly your own; your inspiration, your materials, techniques, themes and color palette all working together in a way that looks like it comes from you and no one else. The main objective of this course is for students to discover, identify and develop an authentic style as young artists; Design Principles and concepts will be emphasized and students will learn how to utilize these principles and techniques successfully in their artwork. Students will learn a variety of drawing, mixed media and painting techniques and other creative processes.


In Art right now we are exploring how artists think, collecting imagery and themes we are interested in, experimenting with mixed media, and exploring color theory. We began the year with some drawing from imagination and observation with a focus on line and then worked with some non-traditional materials, creating compositions with everyday objects. My hope is for my students to feel more confident in creating work, more independent in their decisions and that each student comes out of my class with a better sense of who they are as an artist.”


What Students Are Saying (and Making!)


Students get a lot of time to work on projects and express themselves freely. 


“My favorite thing about art is my ability to do my own style, for example, I love abstract work, so I do it all the time. I also enjoy tech so I am able to do pixel/computer artwork! This year, I've learned how to intercross lines, so I can add more detail to my Abstract pieces. I also learned how to fit those lines on to small pieces of paper.” says Liam Reinhardt (7th grader).


Daniel Flores (7th grade) says “My favorite part of art class is free draw, and just learning new things” (free draw is independent work time).


Daniela Almanza (8th grade) "Floral Flowers"

“The reason I made this piece of art or why I decided to draw and paint these flower is because flowers are unique and some have different shape or color and these flowers remind me of how people can grow in unique ways.”


Liam Reinhardt’s (7th grade) 3-dimensional "Abstract Time." Click here to view the 3D version.



(Article by Amelia Borer)

1 comment: